COVID-19 & Pandemic Dental Care in Salem, OR
Get a fresh start at Healthy Smiles Family Dental
How the pandemic has affected our dental health
Since mid-2020, dentists throughout the country have seen:
- 59% increase in bruxism (tooth grinding)
- 53% increase in chipped and cracked teeth
- 53% increase in TMJ pain
- 30% increase in gum disease diagnoses
- 26% increase in cavities and tooth decay
Why is this happening and how can you avoid becoming a statistic? Our dentists at Healthy Smiles Family Dental can help with your pandemic dental care! Schedule your visit today.
What is causing this increase in dental health problems?
Dentists and medical experts attribute these striking increases in dental health problems to several main causes:
- Stress – The pandemic has been difficult and trying for us all. Stress and tension throughout the body can manifest in the form of jaw clenching and tooth grinding, often unconscious behaviors that go unnoticed. What doesn’t go unnoticed, however, is the pain that results from chronic stress on the jaw muscles and joints. Tooth grinding can increase the risk of chipped and cracked teeth, too.
- Lack of Checkups – Many people have fallen a little behind on their regular exams and checkups as a result of the pandemic — and that’s totally OK. But it’s important to get back on track as soon as possible. In-office cleanings remove plaque and tartar that brushing and flossing at home just can’t. This contributes to the increased amount of cavities and gum disease that we’re seeing.
- Diet & Lifestyle – Snacking at home, eating sugary foods as a coping mechanism, and other changes to our lifestyles during the pandemic have made us more susceptible to a variety of dental health problems. Motivation to exercise was low for many and this contributed to issues with overall health and wellness.
What should you do to take control of your dental health?
The best thing you can do to take control of your pandemic dental care and oral hygiene during pandemic is to schedule an exam and cleaning with one of our experienced dentists at Healthy Smiles Family Dental in Salem. We’re safely welcoming patients into our judgment-free office and are here to help you get your dental health back on track.
Is it safe to see a dentist?
Yes! Here at Healthy Smiles Family Dental, we have gone above and beyond by investing in high-quality air-purifiers known as Surgically Clean Air. This is a 6-stage ionizing and purification system that cleans and energizes the air you breathe in our office, eliminating:
- Allergens like dust, mold, and pollen
- Pollutants and volatile organic chemicals
- Gases, odors, and other irritants
It is among the most powerful and effective air purifiers available today. This makes it safe to seek pandemic dental care and maintain oral hygiene during pandemic.
In addition to Surgically Clean Air, we’re always adjusting our office policies and protocols to maximize your safety and health.
What treatments do you offer that can help with these pandemic-related dental health problems?
- Mouthguards – Custom mouthguards can protect teeth against chips and cracks caused by bruxism and clenching while asleep.
- Fillings – When cavities are small, they can be easily filled with tooth-colored composite fillings.
- Veneers – Chips, cracks, and even small gaps can be repaired with custom veneers.
- Perio Protect – You can fight gum disease at home (and whiten your teeth at the same time!) with a powerful peroxide gel and custom Perio Protect trays.
Who is the best dentist to see in Salem during COVID-19?
Healthy Smiles Family Dental is here to help you and your family feel empowered and confident about your pandemic dental care. Our convenient Salem office is open Monday to Thursday, 7AM to 4PM. We’ll help with all your insurance paperwork and also offer a money-saving dental health membership plan, too! Learn more.